Gov. Brian Sandoval, under pressure after a new Sacramento Bee story disclosed that patients dumped from Nevada’s Rawson-Neal hospital went on to commit crimes in other cities, has named the members of a committee he created to recommend improvements to Nevada’s mental health system.
Here’s the release, with the membership. For the most part, it looks like an impressive group that possesses relevant experience:
SANDOVAL ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENTS TO BEHAVIORAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS COUNCIL
CARSON CITY, NV – Governor Brian Sandoval today announced he has appointed 18 individuals to serve as members of the Governor’s Behavioral Health and Wellness Council. The Council will be chaired by Dr. Joel Dvoskin and vice-chaired by Retired Judge Jackie Glass.
“The convening of this council is the first time members of law enforcement, the judiciary, providers and behavioral health experts are gathering to address the needs of the most vulnerable people in our society,” Governor Brian Sandoval said. “Nevada needs thoughtful, effective and efficient solutions and recommendations from people who serve Nevadans with behavioral health issues on the front lines each and every day. I look forward to receiving the Council’s recommendations and continuing to improve the delivery of behavioral health services to those who need them most.”
Members of the Council include:
· Dr. Joel Dvoskin, Ph.D., ABPP (Forensic) University of Arizona College of Medicine;
· Jackie Glass, Retired Eighth Judicial District Court Judge;
· Mike Willden, Director, Nevada Department of Health and Human Services;
· Richard Whitley, Administrator, Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health;
· Marilyn Kirkpatrick, Speaker, Nevada State Assembly;
· Michael Roberson, Minority Leader, Nevada State Senate;
· Pat Hickey, Minority Leader, Nevada State Assembly;
· Debbie Smith, Assistant Majority Leader, Nevada State Senate;
· Katherine Miller, Director, Nevada Department of Veterans Services;
· Dr. Dale Carrison, Chief of Staff, University Medical Center;
· Karla Perez, Regional Vice President, Universal Health Services
· Richard Steinberg, President/CEO WestCare Foundation;
· Steve Wolfson, District Attorney, Clark County;
· Susan Roske, Chief Public Defender, Clark County;
· Randolph Townsend, Former Nevada State Senator;
· Doug Gillespie, Sheriff, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police;
· Timothy Burch, Director, Clark County Department of Social Services;
· Monte Miller, CEO, KeyState Corporate Management.